Is your kitchen so overflowing with appliances that you have run out of space? The Morphy Richards Folding Food Mixer may be one solution to solve this problem. This sleek and modern household appliance is perfect for smaller homes or apartments with tiny kitchens and limited storage space. The mixer folds down to one-third of its height and stores away in a neat box. It is also lightweight and easy to move. With the accompanying attachments this stand mixer is ready to mix up a cake, beat egg whites into a meringue or knead your bread dough at a moments notice.
What’s in the Box?
Morphy Richards has put together a nice package deal that includes the necessary accessories you need to start mixing:
- Main Mixing Unit – the mixer is available in two colors; cream and red
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl – the stainless bowl is large and easy to clean up
- Storage Lid – this plastic box fits over the mixer after it has been folded down; makes a compact package for easy storing
- Whisks (2) – the whisks are the best attachments for whipping up cream or eggs; anything that needs air added in for a light, fluffy texture
- Beaters (2) – these attachments are perfect for mixing up your favorite cake batter or cookie dough; sturdy, easily inserted into and released from the mixer
- Dough Hooks (2) – the dough hook attachments are great for mixing up various bread and pastry dough; they get the right consistency of butter and flour
- Spatula – the spatula will come in handy for scraping down the sides of the bowl and transferring the batter to the baking dish
- Instruction Booklet – this booklet contains some tasty recipes to try out with your new mixer as well as instructions on how to use and care for your mixer
- Six speeds
- Several basic accessories
- Bowl and attachments are dishwasher safe
- Reasonable price
- Ease of use
- Limited color selection
- Not great for heavy dough
- Does not handle large mixes or double batches
- Short electric cord
- Beaters too close to edge of bowl
- No pulse option
- No splatter guard
The number one beneficial feature is that this machine folds for easy storage. The mixer is approximately 30-40% smaller than other mixers of similar quality. It is very light weight, weighing only 2.4kg, making this mixer very easy to handle and move about from storage to counter top and back. There are clear markings on the main unit to indicate how to fold it down to put it away for storage. Included with the unit is a plastic storage box for quick and easy packing away. The stainless steel bowl, attachments and spatula are all dishwasher safe. Plus, the mixer itself can be wiped down with warm soapy water.
This food mixer comes with attachments that make it easy to start using it right away. There is no assembly or fuss over this unit, with the attachments snapping easily into place. There is a conveniently located button on the top of the unit to release the accessories as necessary for cleaning. You do not need to be a professional chef to use this mixer.
The large 3.5 liter bowl is big enough for even the biggest mixes available. Its stainless steel construction makes the bowl durable and easy to clean. The base plate, where the bowl sits, turns while you are mixing to make sure all the ingredients are blended thoroughly. The direction the bowl turns can also be manually changed.
The 300w motor has enough power to tackle the regular mixing tasks that most people use these machines for. The six speeds allow you to go slow as in folding the ingredients together or fast on high-speed to whip up cream or eggs. Having variable speeds is a big plus and helps you set the speed so it is appropriate for what you are mixing.
The beaters are constructed with a drive plate on one of the beaters. If that unit is installed in the raised socket it will help drive the bowl or turn it while mixing so you can thoroughly incorporate your ingredients.
The basic warranty is two years on parts and labor. As a bonus, this product comes with a free extended 2-year warranty if you register your mixer within 28 days of purchase.
If you are looking for a smaller mixer that still has the power to mix up a variety of baking mixes, the Morphy Richards 400401 Folding Food Mixer may just be the one for you. There are plenty of attachments to help you mix your ingredients up in a full and proper way. The accompanying stow away box is perfect to fit in your cabinets; the sleek design, ease of use; and the reasonable price are all positives that outweigh any negative comments. The modern, stylish colors will enhance the look of your kitchen. In the words of a popular British baking show – “Let’s Bake!”